Resources, Rules and the Current State of Shrek Modding Sept 3, 2016 21:44:48 GMT
Post by kirby on Sept 3, 2016 21:44:48 GMT
This post basically acts as a one-stop shop for anything you need going into this board. Familiarise yourself with everything here then feel free to jump in!
- Standard ShrekBoards rules
- Don't link to pirated software or copies of games
- Don't discuss the 'ethical' side of hacking this game. This means don't berate people if a mod is not tournament worthy or anything like that. While guided by a desire to make this game better, this is mostly a hobby endeavor and I know I personally don't want someone to tell me to stop doing what I find fun because it might hamper the competitive scene.
- Conversely, don't expect anything you make to hit the netplay build just because. Leave the competitive discussion of these mods to other boards.
- Please share ideas, progress, etc. Tackling this all together I'm sure we as a community can make some great stuff.
- Nick Cano - Game Hacking - a recently released book on the subject of game hacking, very nicely written and a great resource for learning.
- Setting up an Environment - A guide that details installing the PC version (and justifications for doing so), installing needed software and making Gamecube patches.
- The ShrekBoards GitHub, where the patches get posted publicly. Ask for access if you have something to contribute.
- /r/ReverseEngineering and /r/REgames, two subreddits on the subject worth keeping an eye on for interesting insights and tools.
The Current State of Shrek SuperSlam Hacking(last updated 2016-12-23)
- The level loading process is partially understood. It works by sending signals to a specific function which then dispatches other functions to perform the loading. These functions can be NOP'd out to disable certain features, such as item spawners and spitters.
- Hidden debug stages and single player stages have been found, and codes have been written to access them here.
- The PC version's MASTER.DAT file has been decoded and work can begin on extracting useful information from the files.
- Lunoz is working on some very cool texture hacks, though currently they only work with Dolphin's inbuilt texture replacement. You can find them here.