The prize pot split was £11 to first place (Tunes), £5 to second place (that guy who's absolutely pissed off), and £2 to third place (Flick).
The results of this tourney make me think it might be worth starting a discussion about banning RRH. She seems way too dominant in the current meta, Tunes picked up RRH *during* the tourney and was able to easily 3-0 Dan with just the BnB combo of aerial apple into grab. But at the same time, it's definitely arguable that it's just matchup knowledge. Or maybe just the matchup? Shrek is unbalanced, but if some characters can challenge RRH, that's arguably enough. I'm interested to see what people think, there should be a discussion of this in the general forum at some point!
As a sidenote, Dan forfeited the second set of grand finals. I imagine he'll have his own thing to say about his thoughts on RRH too
Wolf and Humpty are low tier. There are characters (e.g. Gingy) who can fight RRH and win, but Wolf and Humpty are not in that set. I know I'm always going to be in the corner of minimised rule restrictions, but Soup probably would have won if he hadn't stuck with Wolf, and the fault is with him and not the character.
Congrats on getting so many entrants though! Maybe this scene isn't dying yet.
Every character in S and A tier except Black Knight can fight RRH and win imo, there's no sense in banning her. I haven't seen much high level Wolf play (though I have messed around with the character) so I can't speak for Soup and his character but if he needs to pick up a secondary for the matchup then I trust him to do so.
Some other notes on the tourney to give people more of an idea of how the tourney played out:
- Tunes played solo Dronkey through winners' bracket, including his loss to Smegaman. He then dropped a game to Barca in losers before switching to solo RRH for the rest of the tourney.
- that guy who's absolutely pissed off played solo Humpty Dumpty until he dropped a game to Smegaman. He then played solo Huff 'n' Puff Wolf.
- I (Flick) played solo Donkey until I dropped a game. I then played solo Pinocchio up until winners' finals. In WFs I played Pinocchio (lost), Donkey (lost), RRH (won) and RRH (lost). Then, in losers' finals, I played Donkey and lost, then did RRH dittos for the last 2 games, losing both.
- Only 4 people at this tourney had played Shrek before entering. that guy who's absolutely pissed off, FishEatCorn, myself, and Tunes. Tunes played SSS for the first time the day before the tourney.
- FishEatCorn lost his first set and then forfeited (not sure, it's possible he also forfeited his first set). Ed.E forfeited his losers' set because he wanted to leave early.
- There was a £1 entry per player at this tourney, making it the first Shrek tourney with an entry fee.
- The first set of grand finals was recorded. Not sure if it's still going to be uploaded.
Post by that guy who's absolutely pissed off on Feb 14, 2016 19:30:56 GMT
Haven't had or got the time (thanks British rail service) to post anything significant. I'll try to get around to it in the next few days. Just to point out a few things with Flick's posts:
- I didn't go solo Humpty until I lost but I told Flick I would the day before, hence why he thinks I did. I can't remember how many sets I played but I always went HnP first then switched to Humpty. There was definitely one set I stayed HnP for both. I went HnP, Humpty, HnP against Smegaman with the loss being with Humpty, after which I stayed HnP. I wasn't as confident as you might think going into this tournament.
- I don't know if FishEatCorn forfeited but I suspect he did. He was a contender for winning both the Melee and PM tournaments and came first and second in them respectively so I imagine he'd rather spend his time staying warmed up for them.
- First set of GFs I only got one slam. Game scores were 3-0, 3-1, 3-0. I forfeited straight after the third game.
As I say, I'll have a post of my thoughts regarding this tournament and my future with SSS in the coming days.